Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Tomorrow I'll be home

I cannot believe that I’ve been in Australia for 5 months, and tomorrow, that time will come to an end. So this is my last post on this blog. I thought I’d take this blog as a an opportunity to share some new experiences I’ve had (both good and not so good) and some stuff I’ve learned.

· I learned about myself that I live a very unintentionally sheltered life. In some ways that’s good, but in other ways it’s not.

· I learned what and how to play netball (and that I’m a pretty good goal keeper J) It’s something I’m definitely going to miss. Both the game and the girls on my team

o I learned how to define a British Commonwealth state: the presence of netball and cricket, and that there are a lot of them.

· I learned that a wallaby has 3 vaginas and 2 cervixes. And it doesn’t really have a uterus, but it manages to have 2 uterine horns. They can also be pregnant at 2 different stages at the same time, sort of…ask me for further info if you’re interested. OK, so I learned some pretty interesting stuff about marsupials and monotremes (like platypuses secrete milk from their oil glands in their skin) and I could go on, but this is not the time or the place. For more interesting (somewhat gross to some people) reproduction animal facts, check out 2 of my previous posts: “What have I been up to” and “They do what, how?!?!?”

· I learned how to live on a tight budget, but that there is still great value in giving.

· I experienced God opening “up the windows of heaven and pouring out blessings that I didn’t even have room enough to receive (Malachi 3:10).”

o God opened up my eyes to see how faithful He is.

· I led a Bible study for the first time.

· Being here was the first time that I was ever around a drunk person.

· I made sushi for the first time.

· I did kick-boxing for the first time.

· God showed me that I am not as loving and patient as I thought I was, but that I truly need to rely on Him to love and care for others.

· I learned that I still have a lot of growing to do.

· I learned to appreciate the wisdom of my parents

o I learned a new way to scam someone through the use of sketchy checks and the wiring of money ßthat was an interesting one.

· I learned that I am capable of not being afraid of people.

· I learned that I am terrible at goodbyes!

o Granted, I probably should’ve known this one already, as it takes Mo and I like 10 minutes to actually get off of skype after initially saying goodbye.

It’s such a bittersweet time. As much as I’ll miss it here, the surreal scenery (probably due to the cleanness of the air), the people I’ve met, pouring hot custard over desserts and having British style pudding, I miss home. I miss my family, my friends, my food, my country (my unlimited internet and cell phone service! Lol ßI realize that’s spoiled). I’ve made friends here and met some wonderful people, all of whom I’ll miss dearly. I almost feel like my life at this moment, even as I type this, is like that of the series finale of a tv show. Fortunately, it’s not over…this is just the close of another chapter of my life, and even more fortunately, the author of this story has a plan to prosper my life, plans for a hope and a future (Jer 29:11). I’m soooo looking forward to see what He has next.

I guess in this case, since Shalyse is no longer in Australia after tomorrow, say wha...?, then I’ll be signing off in this chapter. I hope that you’ve enjoyed reading. Feel free to check out my other blog: http://therealshalyse.blogspot.com/

Shalomses

No comments:

Post a Comment